Changing Digest Format??

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:20:24 +0200

OK, let's give it a twirl ...

Graham :

> I believe that turning
> this fully moderated would cause more problems than it solves.

I agree.

> I can see several possible changes :
>
> 1. I can make this fully moderated, and only allow posts which match
> some set of rules that we agree to as to what constitutes an
> "acceptable" post.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of work and not much fun.

Also, from my stated POV, it would just shift the problem I perceive from one end of the spectrum (newbie-friendly posts) to the other (weird/extreme/deep esoterical stuff).

There are unfortunate (but probably unavoidable) levels of antagonism between fans of the two approaches ...

> 2. I can tell off and (if needed) moderate those
> posters who continuously post overly dull messages. This would
> probably be in response to a number of complaints from other list
> members.

See 1. , although it sounds slightly more workable.

> 3. I can fiddle the software so that all messages come in a
> bunch (normally once a day), but in either digest or individual format
> as desired. This *WILL* involve a lot more work on my part...

There are all sorts of similarly unconventional solutions that spring to mind, but here I agree with Graham : IMO it depends what people actually want from the GD.

However, all messages coming once a day still wouldn't help some people's desires for quicker response times on certain types of threads.

> 4. I can
> open it up totally, a la HQ-RPG.

Hmmmm ... :-/

> 5. I can leave things as they are. We
> have over a hundred more members than HQ-RPG, so presumably I'm doing
> something right...
>
> Of these, I see 5 as preferable,

Me too. I've said that I don't think there's anything wrong with the GD, and I'll repeat it. If there's anything to be improved here, it's in the area of thread (and idea) movement from list to list.

I also stand by the proposed experiment of mine, which will succeed or fail on its own merits. If it has none, well there you go.

OTOH if Graham and friends can come up with a solution for better integration and communication between the lists, well, more power to them !

Julian Lord