re: help

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_albionsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:54:39 +0100

>However some of the things said made me wonder about something: I always
>assumed that in Glorantha the gods *do* exist. They exist as independent
>beings just as mortals do. They have will, they have agendas, etc.

Many Gloranthans believe that gods exist, have will, aggendas, etc. However they are explicitly not like mortals. The gods exist outside time, frozen in their respective roles by the great compromise (or local equivalent). What they lack is the ability to change. Orlanth is a storm god. He has the abilities he has. He can learn nothing new. He cannot act outside his remit. A mortal has no such limits. Where a god changes, it is as the result of a mortal acting on the god, via HQ.

So the question is : how much is a mortal heroquesting to change his god, obeying the will of his god, who cannot change otherwise? I think that's best left open, for each group to decide if it needs to. However, it is perhaps worth noting that the two great heroquesting cultures we know of in modern glorantha (the Lunars and the Orlanthi) are both followers of a god of change...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson