HeroQuesting

From: Andrew Joelson <ajoelson_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:59:24 -0500

> Michi Kossowsky

    <snip>
> However some of the things said made me wonder about something: I always
> assumed that in Glorantha the gods *do* exist. They exist as independent
> beings just as mortals do. They have will, they have agendas, etc.

    Gods definately exist as independent beings. The number of followers they have can cause them to 'swell up', and then to 'deflate' as the numbers drop. But followers are not a requirement. Two examples are Arachne Solara and Humakt.

    Sandy; "Humakt's cult is really small worldwide. The place it's biggest is Dragon Pass. And what, 2% of the people worship him? ... yet he is a very important god."

    Nick; "...another thing that is important here is that Gloranathan can get power simply from the way the world is without needing active worshippers...  nobody worships Arachne Solara, but she is the _biggest_ power conceivable in Glorantha today."
(From Sandy Peterson & Nick Brooke; GC Con IV Conpendium, page 5).

> Andrew Solovay

    <snip>
> And to complicate things, I'm not sure one can be sure after the fact what
> is an experimental heroquest and what isn't! For example, take Harmast, the
> first mortal (if I understand correctly) to perform the full Lightbringers'
> Quest. Did he take existing myth, and simply perform a quest which everyone
> could imagine, but nobody had the cojones to try? Or did he roll his own
> myth, make his own decisions...

    Harmast already knew what needed to be done when he started; he had the courage to try something no mortal had ever accomplished before.

Andrew