Goblins

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:39:37 +1200

Chris Graham:

>I've seen two references to goblins one I seem to believe was in trollpack
>as riders for giant flies (no not the you know what in the red book!) and I
>think a reference to goblins at than ubar (spelling?). Is there such things
>as goblins in glorantha or did observers got confused with trolkin. Was
>there any other references (or Runequest stats) published for goblins?

The Giant Fliers are trollkin although IIRC in the RQ II version, it's stated as
an aside that the evidence of the footprints and the use of darktongue suggests [to the PCs] that the fliers were trollkin not goblins.

There are two other references. The oldest is in Dragon Pass where they appear as a unit once Sir Ethilrist uses the Cloak of Darkness. They move bloody fast (twice as fast as the Black Horse Troop or the fleetest Grazeland clans), have a fairly nasty attack but are wimpy in defense. Lastly Xiola Umbar is said to have opposed Zorak Zoran when she saved the Goblin Race.

And that's about it AFAIK.

To confuse matters, Red Elves (small swamp dwelling humanoids) are also called goblins and two species are described in the Gloranthan Bestiary. However I don't think these are what Genertelans think of when they hear the word Goblins.

Given that the Goblins are not in Anaxial's Roster, we can assume they are not common on the surface. This fits in with their rare appearance in the Dragon Pass broadgame. I assume they speak some language related to Darktongue and that they worship Xiola Umbar and Zorak Zoran.

--Peter Metcalfe