Re: 'elf' attitudes

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:01:44 -0700

A followup to my

> I'm fairly sure that some trees propagate ONLY due to fire, so it
> would probably be hard for humans to figure out which elves would
> accept it.

"Many plants that have adapted to habitats prone to fire have developed seeds that rely on fire as a precondition to germinating. Other seeds germinate only when a certain microorganism is present in the soil, or when a particular plant is already growing. With many South African plants, exposing the seed to smoke is beneficial or necessary to germination." (found at
<http://www.njha.org/pdfs/studman/16.pdf>)

I'd forgotten about the smoke.

--

David Dunham