Product Map of Genertela

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

> http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ty2m-iwsk/products.jpg

Fine map, Terra and Efendi: I am interested in such an approach to gloranthan economy.
I would be interested in a more detailed map, also. Regional "production" and trade flows would be excellent.

> *Farming (Yellow Plant Rune)
> It is not so difficult to discern the crop basket
> area if you know
> proportion of population. If excess of food exists,
> food cost of that area
> declines, and the population of the area increases
> comparing with neighbor
> areas. (Population is guideline of relativity, not
> absolute guide.) In such
> area, we can suppose that crop basket is suitable
> for farming from climate.
>
> But in commercially developed area, farmers begin to
> grow cash crops (like
> cotton, mulberry and sugar) rather than food crops,
> and such area relies on
> import of food.

also, the pressure of war, famine and plague could seriously hamper the growth of population in a given area (even if food is theoretically available). As a guideline population is merely a start, as you suggest.

> South Loskalm (Appro: 140,0000), Rindland of
(snip)
> (1,500,000)

are you considering just human population or do you add together the elder races (their *ehm* diet could be very different from the human's of course)?

> *Herd Raising (Red Beast Rune)
> *Fishing (Blue Sideway Spirit Rune)

> I think it is not so plausible in magical nature of
> Glorantha, but Efendi
> might have another design for that
> *Mining (Green Stability Rune)

I like the concept that in Glorantha magic places (such as Dragon Pass) are comparable to oil rich RW areas (such as the Persian Gulf). A serious approach to economy in Glorantha should not be disjointed from availability of rough magic sources (a la the brown dragon). I would add a magic rune to the map.

> *Manufacturing (Purple Fate Rune)
>
> In some Areas developed with mechantile economy in
> certain level, farmers
> begin to grow more profitable, cash crops and import
> food. Manufactured
> products derived from cash crops through various
> processes have more high
> price and uniqueness rather than that derived from
> direct harvest of field,
> and it makes the area which produce such the center
> of surrounding area.

I fail to understand the meaning of the above sentences.

Ciao,
Gian

End of Glorantha Digest