Re: Money, money, money

From: (nil)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:52:05 GMT

In message <4231735D.24777.568851_at_localhost> "Light Castle" writes:

>I love the idea of tax collectors offices filled with cows and sheep. :)
>
>I'm actually asking because my game is in Karse, and I'm trying to figure
>out how I want money to be done there. It's been a merchant city for a
>long time, and a merchant city is going to gravitate towards cash.

There may be two layers with a coin based economy for the merchants and a cow based one for the farmers. Cities are going to tend towards coinage because not everyone wants livestock but nearby farmers may cling to traditional ways.

>Also,
>one of the players has an NPC friend who is in deep gambling debt and I'm
>trying to guesstimate how much is a properly shocking number. I'm going
>to wing it anyway, but I was wondering if in one of these long,
>complicated digest discussions someone had already done the work. :)

That's easy, the debts are greater than his weregeld. So if someone were to kill him the payment wouldn't cover his debts. Probably reason for his bloodline to get him outlawed because they're better off without him.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/