Re: Two Questions on Resurrection

From: Stephen Rennell <steve_at_verso.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:04:09 +1300

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:33, Paul Andrew King wrote:
> > =A0Now of course, they
> >would then have a claim against the person who killed their kin, for at
> >least the value of the gifts to the healer.
>
> I think that this is where the law is up for grabs. =A0Yes they would
> likely argue that. =A0But the opposing side could argue that they have
> no responsibility for the amount given, and that it was a gift not a
> cost or a hardship (even if it is all but mandatory by the unwritten
> rules of society and really was a genuine hardship).

Yes, but ...

In my game, the likelihood of success in a law suit is related to how many= =20
friends both sides have at least as much as how well grounded each sides=20 claims are. A stickpicker is not going to win against a tribal chief,=20 unless the tribal chief has lost the confidence of much of the tribe, which= =20
is only likely to happen if he does something specatularly wrong.=20

Once you get into the above situation, it probably comes down to whether th= e=20
offending clan thinks that the offended clan will start a feud over it, and= =20
whether their friends would support them in such a feud.

Stephen

=2D-=20
Stephen Rennell steve_at_verso.org
Wellington, New Zealand
GPG fingerprint -=20
CD0F 78C6 1AAE 8726 803A =A0F1D0 F123 8486 062F 0317 --__--__--