Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 104

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:06:29 +0300

> Umath - where is he now? Was he destroyed by Chaos or is he still hanging
> around somewhere? Same questions for Vardus.

Umath is Eternal.

> Umath - where is he now? Was he destroyed by Chaos or is he still hanging
> around somewhere? Same questions for Vardus.

Nick gave me the creeps once, when I asked that about Vadrus. Hope that is not REALLY true as disastrous experiments were made...

  "Based on the knowledge that Vadrus worshippers were around   during the Harmast Saga, but seem to be no longer in the   third age - and is said to be killed by chaos. Conclusion:   Vadrus was killed "in myth" by God-Learners!"

Also you can play with the idea of Umatum nailed to the sky and chained to the Earth by Shargash. Maybe the Horribilis mistakenly took Vadrus.

Umath is dispersed in the winds of the worlds. He is the sum of all air.

[Peter's theory is so good it must be true too.]

> While we're on the subject, is it true that Humakt, Orlanth, Urox, and
> Vardus are all sons of Umath? Did he have any more?

Umbrol, Ragnaglar, Hara

Ragnaglar may have been Urox's twin - a spawn of the World Dragon. The Mother of the Bull is said to be The Mother of All The Beasts - and in GL monomyth Mikyh/Hykim was always a dual entity.

It depends what your stories want to emphasize. My count is Seven Sons. There are the Four Storms + High, Low and no-son. (Eurmal is a big ?)

Remember the Umath's Camp in the story of First Hospitality? "..and when Ratslaff told others of it, he was killed..." KoS61 now, read Mythology of Eurmal, ST 59 [Notice the pg sum: 1 less 111]

This is my pet subject, but my thoughts may not be of general acceptance.

YGWV "There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblancce to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -