Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 104

From: Simon Hibbs <simon.hibbs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:02:06 +0100

Donald Oddy:

> I don't think disease brings death in Glorantha, nor does poison.
> Humakt brings death to those crippled by either - that is his gift
> and his victory over Mallia and chaos.

That's a nice interpretation, and I think squares well with my own views.

> If people are acting on the Godplane then it happens in Godtime.

Right, the confusion is caused by thinking on the Godtime as happening 'before' time. It's outside of time, and therefore it's meaningless to talk about it occuring 'before' anything as though it were actualy just a special part of time itself. That's an understandable problem though due to the way we refer to it - GodTIME. It's perhaps better, but sometimes more awkward to simply refer to Godtime events as happening 'in myth'.

Greg Stafford says:

> > Does Etyries get to be a Lightbringer?
>
> She never did that quest.

This stuff always reminds me of the ways the Romans co-opted local spirits and deities, identifying the major ones with their own gods, and the lesser ones as previously unknown offspring or other relatives.

In Gloranth you'd prove such things through heroquesting, but whether or not 'it was always so' isn't realy important, what is important is that the myth embodies truths about the nature of the world as it is - now. Active religious practice trough living myth embodies mortal's conciousness of the cosmos, and so it is constantly evolving. In an essentialy static cosmos that would be enough to allow for considerable variation in myth over time, but in Glorantha the cosmos itself is changing (perhaps evolving?) too.

I don't think it's right to say that Etyries was always a god, because there was a time before Etyries was born, but Etyries mastered and came to embody divine powers and principles that are eternal. This is possible for Lunars because they have a different conciousness of the divine from Orlanthi (but perhaps at a price).

Simon Hibbs