Saints and Monsters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:48:06 +1200

Ian Cunnigham:

> >There's unlikely to have been inhuman saints in the castle coast
> >in the first place. The nearest is worship of the Serpent Kings
> >(who had reptilian appendages for limbs). Alternatively the
> >Castle Coasters could worship one of the reptilian brethren
> >of the serpent kings but that would be very very unusual.

>I often forget that modern Malkionism isn't an evangelical religion,
>like Christianity or Islam, but is more of a racially-associated
>religion, like Judaism or Hinduism.

It is evangelical even at the point of a sword - what it has difficulty making inroads into is nonhuman worship. That said, a couple of examples spring to mind - Waertag and Quicksilver. But the prime example of Malkioni making friends with nonhumans are the Stygians.

>And saying, "The
>Invisible God is so cool Its prophets were able to convert even
>krjalki beasts!" has to have some impact when you're trying to
>convince "mere" human neighbors to follow your way.

This argument can cut both ways. If I were to say that the Invisible God is so cool that its prophets can convert even the Broos, I doubt that the Orlanthi that I'm talking to will be very impressed.

>Now, the God Learner Empire, on the other hand, seems to be very
>clearly evangelical, and am I mistaken in assuming that they started,
>at least, from Malkioni first principles before embarking on their
>grand experiments?

The God Learners hated nonhumans rather than convert them. They destroyed the Stygian Empire for its friendship with Trolls, looted whatever Dwarf conclaves they could and burned both the Merfolk (including the Waertagi who were related to the God Learners) and the Elves. Where they sought to make converts were among the humans, such as the Esrolians, the Kralori, the Fonritans and the Brithini.

--Peter Metcalfe