Re: Lunar Myths

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:25:59 GMT

In message <42528EE9.31593.F685C_at_localhost> "Light Castle" writes:

> I think I may have confused myself again.
>
>How do Lunar Myths work? Myths take place in Godtime, before the
>Compromise, when Time didn't exist as we know it.

Godtime is very confusing because events don't follow on from one another. They can also be changed by the actions of mortals after time began.

>But the Lunars are all post-Dawn. You can argue the Goddess is in
>fact a Goddess who existed in the pre-dawn and has been reborn, but
>doesn't that mean the only feats and myths and HQs you can go on
>are those of this previous goddess. There is nothing specific to
>the Red Goddess we know. And what about the 7 mothers? OR Etyries?
>When did their myths take place, and how do you access them? Did
>they go on other people's myths and change them with experimental
>Heroquesting?

I'm hoping that some of this will be cleared up when we get ILH2 and see the Lunar religion written from their viewpoint rather than that of outsiders. A lot of the Lunar mythology *appears* to have happened after time began but I'm not sure that's true.

As far as the Seven Mothers are concerned most of them are spinoffs of other gods.

Etyries is a daughter of Issaries so has all his mythology plus a bit about having the truth of the Goddess revealed to her and a HQ to rebirth the Goddess. What probably happened here is that an Issaries trader was involved in the rebirth and subsequently became a goddess herself. This meant that Issaries had a daughter in Godtime who doesn't appear in Heortling myth - the Lunars can be said to have changed Godtime in that respect although equally it has always been true.

Yanafal Tarnils is a Humatki resurrected by the Goddess.

Irippi Ontor is a Lhankor Mhy scholar who researched what was needed to rebirth the Goddess.

Danfive Xaron appears to be a spinoff of a Solar god of criminals.

Deezola is based on a healing goddess, possibly Azura from the Vrimak pantheon.

Teelo Norri was probably a solar equivelent of Voria.

Jakaleel I'm not sure about, I've seen her mentioned in connection with trolls but I can't identify a similar troll spirit. Of humans I'd suspect the SurEnslib tradition of Darjiin but I've not seen any writeup of a practice involved with spirits of madness. She may just have been a crazy shaman with no roots who was just what was needed at that point in time.

She who waits is just mysterious, like Ginna Jar.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 101