Re: Castle Blue

From: Kevin P. McDonald <kpmcdona_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:57:34 -0400

Peter Metcalfe replies:

> Kevin McDonald:
>
>>>Well, it certainly isn't conclusive but the Battle of Castle Blue
>>>started when the Carmanians (Sons of Darbeest?) sent an army of the dead
>>>to attack Meglardirth.
>>

>This is the army that sailed from the Islands in Oronin Lake (FS
>p52)? They would have their origins in the "dead people on the
>shores of the Black Lake".

Yep. Yep.

>Since the Castle Blue lay at the edge of both Carmanian and Dara Happan lands

Lake Oronin was in the heart of Old Carmania, and only shared a border with Dara Happa during particularly bad times - like the war against the Red Goddess.

>and that some of the Veth Ethdisi are said to be related to the
>conquered Carmanians, I think it's reaching quite a bit to label the
>dead people or their summoners Carmanians.

Why? Because they attacked Meglardirth, a formerly Carmanian city? My opinion is that the people of Meglardirth had fallen for Valare Addi's Lunar influenced Pelandan revival. This offended the Veth Ethdisi and their Carmanian relatives, who sought the most effective tool to remove the Lunar taint from the shores of Lake Oronin. The army of the dead was that tool.

>>> It seems reasonable to me that the Hum'akt cult
>>>would have a role in allowing that happen.
>>

>Humakti using dead people? Rather contrary to what else has been
>known about them.

The Carmanian Hum'akt is, IMHO, very different from the Orlanthi version. Even so, it is known that Humakti do allow the dead to return under the proper circumstances (resurrection). Humakt himself brought the Einherjar (dead warriors) to fight at Four Arrows of Light. My view is that the Carmanian Hum'akt cult, followers of the Sword of Idovanus, found some "technicality" to allow the dead to come back and fight the minions of the Lie. Carmanian Viziers are good at finding technicalities. :)

~Kevin McDonald