RE: Re: Nandan

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:01:34 +0100

Nils:

> >I think there are far fewer followers of Nandan than there
> >are of Vinga. Vingans are still women, in all respects, who
> >take on predominantly male tasks. Nandans on the other hand
> >are regarded as women in men's bodies.

Donald:
> I'm not convinced of this difference, I think Vingans are regarded
> as men in women's bodies by Heortlings.

Except of course for those who are absolutely, definitely, women and proud of it, and their bedpartners (male, and proud of it) are pretty convinced, too!

"Doing a man's job" does not mean "being a man" in every sense including sexual, even in magical and mythical Glorantha. (I'll ask my husband to check, but so far he seems quite convinced that, despite being a computer geek, I'm female.)

Possibly we do need a version/subcult of Vinga that caters for the "men in female bodies" idea, and quite possibly some Orlanthi think of this as the norm. (Though making them capable of taking the male role in sex sounds tricky?) And I think we also need a version of Nandan that's just "men who do a woman's job", since that seems to me to be be far more likely to happen than full trans-sexuality.