RE: Enferalda

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:14:14 GMT

In message <20050701071625.XAWW11226.aamta11-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:
>> > I think that "SWAT Team" approach is a bit gamist particularly if
>> > different cults are involved. Would an Uroxi really cast Berserk
>> > on an Elmali? or a Vangarthi make a Humatki fly?
>
>RR:
>
>> Are you suggesting that heroes run by gamers *wouldn't* do something
>> like the SWAT team, simply because of their cult backgrounds?
>
>Under certain circumstances, with very different cults, yes, I think it
>would be good RP for them to refuse. "No, I am NOT putting the power of
>Death into your sword - you may be my best mate, but you're not
>responsible enough to be trusted with it."
>
>> Is it gamist? Yes, intentionally. It was specifically written as a
>> tactic *for* gamers. Is it "realistic" in Glorantha? Inside a
>> close-knit hero group, I think so, yes.
>
>Yes. It isn't normal, it shouldn't be normal. It's making a point
>about the group to use it. "Look how much those guys trust each
>other - they lend each other magic!"

Thinking more about it I can see this in the context of a Hero Band or other group acting towards a common objective. Perhaps it's something that needs a wyter to achieve. Even then I think there'll be a reluctance from some cults to lend to others. A Humatki may lend his magic to the chief he's sworn to but not other clan members. It also fits the way YT officers are needed to get soldiers from different traditions working together - a regiment is trained to use its magic to boost a particular representative. The YT officer and vexillia is needed to get magical reinforcement from different cults.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/