Re: Move em on, head em up, count em out, ride em in, etc...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:48:19 +0200 (CEST)

Raiding Praxian herds comes in two varieties: get a couple of individual beasts, or get an entire herd.

Getting an entire herd has been covered by the Nomad Gods game, and may involve dealing with the herds' protective magic, the Protectresses.

Judging from the only snippet I can recall about animal ownership, the women of the clan care for the tribal beasts, breed them and milk them. Males may take an interest in breeding steeds, but will have to cooperate with the females to benefit from Eiritha's magics.

I'm not sure whether intra-tribal raids between clans may occur. This depends on how the bridal price is to be paid. If a young Bison brave has to pay his bridal price in bisons, there has to be a way for him to get them through his own actions. Raiding the own clan is unthinkable. Raiding other Bison clans would be the obvious solution, but that's dangerous for tribal cohesion and the greater magics of Prax. Raiding other tribes and trading the (inferior) captured beasts for tribal beasts probably is the accepted way.

(Just as an annoying aside: are Praxian clans strictly extra-marital?)

I seem to remember reading a warrior's boast how many beasts he owned (and how many his wives). The male had his personal steed(s) and possibly a pack beast or two from the tribal herd beasts, otherwise he owned mostly captured beasts from the other tribes kept for work (? - I doubt he'd find them efficient) and slaughter.

Sorry I can't quote my source, Prax isn't really my Gloranthan home turf.