Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 294

From: SIMONBRAYUK_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:30:24 EDT

In a message dated 27/09/2005 12:01:19 GMT Standard Time, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org writes:

IMHO this is because Ancestor spirits are assumed to have gone to a special 'happy hunting ground', or it's equivalent, rather than simply having been dumped at a random point on the spirit plane when they died. These are the special protected and blessed domains of the Great Spirits, and therefore they require the special blessings and magic of the Great Spirits to access them, as represented by Divine Magic.

In this context the Great Spirits might be Waha, Storm Bull, Eiritha, tribal founders etc.

Ancestors that did not make it to such places probably ended up as mad ghosts, wraiths, etc and probably wouldn't be recognisable anyway.

I always think it is fun to give these ancestors personalities, in my Glorantha Bison Khan's who die have their mounts killed as well and are proped up on them to dessicate in the sun. So in the Spirit Plane they are still charging around on their animals, and do the same when you summon them, a huge Bison and ghostly rider leaping out of the ritual fire is much more fun that just an amorphous blob of spirit.

Simon