RE: Salt

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:20:38 +0100

> I've been reading a really interesting book on Salt, and it mentions
> how the Celts were famed salt miners. That, plus the general fact that
> all societies have had to deal with the issue of salt from the moment
> they domesticated animals, makes me wonder where the Orlanthi
> get their
> salt? Do they mine it in shafts from the mountains like the Celts did?

There are salt mines in Prax - Pent Ridge, the Sun County prison.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/pentridge.html

Not that that's Orlanthi as such, but it's a start.

I've always liked the idea of salt mines, because the resulting caves are such a spectacular setting.

Import the stuff from coastal areas is the other obvious option.

> And what are the mythical properties of salt for them? (After
> all, it is
> a substance that has had powerful mythic/magic properties in our
> history.)

I'd guess it depends on the source. The mythic properties of sea salt and rock salt should be very different.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 296