Sources of Lunar Crimson

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:55:46 +1300

Gian:

>Where does the Lunar Empire find its sources of red
>dyes? From marine shells? And from which sea?
>Who or which league/house/satrap controls the trade of
>red dye?

Red Dyes don't come from marine sources - that's purple dyes you were thinking of. For red and crimson dyes, RW sources would be treated forms of ochre, sienna and umber.

For the really brilliant crimsons, I prefer a magical origin. The cloth is treated and left out in the moonlight. Most such crimsons would have been exposed to seven full moons (and kept in darkness for the remainder of that time) while the best crimson cloth has been exposed to fourty-seven consecutive full-moons.

--Peter Metcalfe