Re: Modifiers and Not Defending

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:12:39 -0500

"Hibbs, Philip" wrote:

> Jeff, I think what you may be looking for here is a Surprise Attack modifier.
> RQ had two, "Surprised in combat" and "Surprised in non-combat".

Good point. But what I was I am looking for is 'I'm too tough, I'm going to fight Count Julian (and his annoying wig) and ignore the little guy with the spear... For a PC's who's concentrating on a tough opponent and ignoring the little ones (and trying to not get a multiple opponents penalty)

> If you are attacking someone who is unaware of your presence, your chance of
> killing them is still going to be based on your combat ability compared to
> theirs. I'd impose something like a -10 modifier, so to take down someone that
> has a level of mastery advantage is going to take more than just sneaking up on
> them. Also, you'd have to beat their "alert" with your "sneak".
>
> Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/
> Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let
> alone those of any organisations, nations, species,
> or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.

RR posted a good response earlier and I am quite pleased with it -- a 6 being the resistance of an unaware or un-caring opponent. I would also use this in 'total suprise' as well.

Afterall, ask Balastor how he got his... Or Rurik. Its always the little-guy-with-the-spear that you didn't bother with who's going to be a problem. Besides, I think its a good way to a good way to make ignoring someone very, very dangerous (like a resistance of only 6!) especially if you only do it to avoid the brutal mutliple opponent penalties

Jeff

Jeff