Random questions

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:23:17 +0200

Hi all!

        How do you handle a reward in money using the wealth rating system? I give hero points that must be spent to increase the wealth rating, but if you have better ideas I'd gladly accept them. Gifts are easier: you choose the gifts' level and then let the character choose the specific gift whose value is lower than the gift's level.

        The introductory scenarios usually interpret situational modifiers as edges, frex the dog-men of the first scenario have a +6 edge to flee in the woods. Why don't use the standard bonus and penalties to the skill?

        Let's say that a character has a "shy with women" ability (as a personality trait), but tries to seduce one. I could give him a negative edge whose resistance is equal to or lesser than his trait (if the trait is 12 then a -4 edge) or, allowing for the women's personality, choose an edge and then rolling the trait vs. the edge's resistance. Frex if the women is very blunt, she would aim at giving him a -6 edge but in doing so he may be shocked enough to surmount his fears. The first method is faster and less prone to strange results, the second is more elegant because more coherent with the rest of the system. What do you think?

        Actually, I love the vagueness of both mundane and magical abilities. It is a challenge to my imagination to understand what my character can do and to invent a story which makes it plausible. And the aim of RPGs is to challenge our imaginations, isn't it?

        This is enough for now. Thanks in advance for the answers.

	Cheers,
	A challenged Alex.