RE: RE: Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:36:13 +1200

At 09:58 11/04/00 +0100, Philip Hibbs wrote:

>My fave one-line description of Illumination is "A mystical insight into
>theism". It isn't mysticism per se, but it is a mystical technique that
>allows the illuminant to see theism from a different perspective.

Animists and Sorcerers can be illuminated.

>Maybe the classic
>"abilities" (nondetection of chaos, immunity to spirits of reprisal, etc.)
>are mystical abilities, or could be represented in game terms thereas, but
>I don't think that just being an additional set of "mysticism" powers is
>the main point.

D:LoD kinda made it dependant on which "school" you got illuminated by. These abilities can be subsumed under the rubric of the mystic Counter, although I sorta get the impression from the HW description that getting such a counter isn't automatic and the Illuminate usually has to get one from elsewhere.

> >Illuminates have a harder time in the Otherworld (All mystics have
> >a harder time on the Otherside).

>See above - I don't see illuminants as real mystics. Anyway, wasn't Arkat,
>the greatest heroquester ever, illuminated?

No. If anything, he was the complete opposite (i.e. knowing how to reach the Truth, but lacking the necessary insight to do so).

--Peter Metcalfe