Re: Using Two Weapons? (again)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:53:04 +1200

John Briquelet:

>I agreed to allow the player of a Humakt devotee to select Dual Sword
>Combat as his main Close Combat subskill. After all, the Taraltara
>(sp?) mystics can do it, so I figured a true son of Humakt could also
>find a way to develop the skill. However, as per the previous
>discussions on this topic, I did not want this to unbalance my game.
>I would love some semi-official or official feedback on how this
>skill should be handled. Here are some ideas I have been trying
>lately...

Your ideas look far too complex. I'm not sure how saying that a character fights with two swords instead of one is unbalancing.

If you want him to be better at two sword fighting (whether it be rapier & main gauche or two shortswords) than sword & shield, then the best way to handle it would be to give him a close combat bonus when fighting with two swords (this was possible in the draft and will appear in the 2nd edition or so I'm told).

Since he is a devotee of Humakt, you should allow him to improvise and cement flashy feats that can only be used with two swords (such as Blinding Double Slice, Between the Sword and a Hard Place, or Shield of the Spinning Blades). That way, fighting with two weapons will count for something without adding a layer of mechanical complexity.

--Peter Metcalfe