Re: Using Two Weapons? (again)

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:17:29 -0000

John wrote:

> I agreed to allow the player of a Humakt devotee to select Dual
> Sword Combat as his main Close Combat subskill ... I would love
> some semi-official or official feedback on how this skill should
> be handled.

My own (utterly unofficial) feedback is that this looks like *way* too much overhead to handle what is, after all, essentially, a piece of chrome. "Hero Wars" is not trying to be a simulation game, and its resolution system, when used for combat, can represent more exciting and entertaining possibilities than the attack - parry - dodge mantra of RuneQuest. Would you add a similar overhead to someone who fought by juggling with improvised weapons? Hope not!

That said, we don't spend much time worrying about weapon and armour ranks when the Greydogs get ready to rumble -- we're too busy working out mythically-appropriate uses for our limited hoard of feats, or singing the Song of Scath Scruach, or scanning the faces of HeroQuest foes looking for our real-world opponents ...

ISTM there's more fun to be had from concentrating on Story Stuff, rather than interpreting every combat as if it were the same clankily mechanical situation, all bound up in strike ranks and hex maps and multiple-opponent penalties...

Which is to say: add any "special" rules, case-by-case, for one-off (scenario) situations, rather than grafting on an appendix of extra things to remember which this poor character will be burdened with throughout his gaming (and your GM'ing) existence. It's easier that way. YMMV.

Just my (unofficial) $0.02,

Cheers, Nick