Re: Subcults and Devotees

From: John Briquelet <Briquelet_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:29:55 -0700

Thanks Roderick! Your answer confirms what I had suspected was the intent of the rules. Hopefully, HW 2nd Edition will eliminate the inconsistencies that exist between the 1st Edition rules and later supplements.

John

> I have reread the HW rules repeatedly and those rules state that a
> devotee of one aspect and subcult of a god can learn the affinities
> and feats of other subcults of that same aspect without joining those
> subcults (simply by spending the hero points necessary). Why was
> this changed in TR? If I understand correctly, in TR a character
> wishing to learn the feats of another subcult, even of the same
> aspect, must quit his current subcult and join the new one.
> Furthermore, he takes a penalty to his Devotee ability. Is this
> correct? Is there no way under the current rules for a devotee of
> one aspect and its subcult to learn feats or affinities from another
> subcult of the same aspect without being penalized, forced to abandon
> his current subcult, etc.? Could I get clarification on this?

  Re-read the box on TR 70.
  A person cannot devote to one god and initiate to a second *god*, but he can   devote to one subcult and initiate to another subcult (or even   aspect+subcult) of the *same* god. However, he does suffer the Multiple   Initiation (TR 67) strictures (both subcults have to approve his initiation   into the second one, *and so does the narrator*, and he must work extra hard   (spending 90% of his time) at religion.

  So it's no longer possible (without narrator approval as a real wierdo) to   be a Odayla Devotee/Destor Adventurous initiate, but you *can* be a   Ormalayla Adv. Devotee/Destor Adv. Initiate, or even Ormalaya Adv. Devotee   /Hedkoranth Thunder. Initiate

  Of course, the question in *my* mind is "does the player realize what is   involved with 90% religious duty"? This guy has no time to deal with (or   make) family or friends outside of his religious duties, no time for   hobbies, no time to relax. He is always "on", much like a Disciple, but at   least the disciple has only one boss. The D/I has to obey *two* gods, and   two sets of priests. And every once in a while he is given conflicting   orders.

  A devotee is the equivalent (in RW terms) of a priest - he spends most of   his time doing "god stuff", whether this means plowing/fighting/hunting or   taking the part of his god in pageants and rituals. "Being a devotee" is his   8-5 job. In contrast, an initiate is like a (RW) very devoted church-goer   who goes to sunday service for a couple hours, reads the bible at lunch and   for an hour a night, attends prayer meetings three times a week, prayers   before *every* meal and before starting a project, helps out at church and   is in the choir for all the holy days. A communal member is more like the   churchgoer who attends sunday services and   the major holy days, says grace before meals and takes in a bible study   class on wednesday night.

  At least Eurmal only has Disciples, so we don't have to worry about someone   wanting a Eurmal/Humakt D/I...

  RR

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

  To Post a message, send it to: hw-rules_at_...   To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: hw-rules-unsubscribe_at_...   To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_....