Re: using two weapons [eventually]

From: stefan.drawert_at_...
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:22:58 -0000

charles answered:

> > in my game, the choice and changing of abilities is most
> > important for players to succeed over opponents that are as
> > skilled as they are.
>
> In our group, if the players description of what they are attempting
> is sufficiently amusing, audacious or otherwise interesting, the
> player will (occasionally) get an improvisation bonus or a free
> attempt to augment. We absolutely insist on the description coming
> first and work out the bid/aument size from our consensus on the
risk
> that they are taking.
>
> Fairly regularly, we forget to state the bid before rolling but we
> have never yet failed to agree what size the bid was even after
> seeing the roll result.
>
> This approach encourages each player to tell the group how their
> player is using their environment (weapons choice/fighting style is
> just one part of the environment) to advance their goals. The
> mechanics becomes only the means of keeping the score.
>
> The rules heavy approach (RQ, RoleMaster etc) does give many players
> and GMs a feel for what is "actually" mechanically going on (but it
> is all in our heads anyway). In my opinion, this comes at two major
> costs.
> 1 - all of the table lookups and other book-keeping.
> 2 - Unless there are already rules for for what a player/character
> wants to do, you either can't do it, the GM has to work out a new
set
> of mechanics beforehand (and record it so it can be re-used, yeah, I
> bet ;-) or just wing it.
>
> Guess which I prefer!

same to me!

maybe it read otherwise, but it was meant to point to the decriptive way of resolving actions.
what I WROTE is what happens behind the narrator's screen. actually, when my players face an opponent who's a better swordsman as they are, no doubt they'll come up with some action that will even out that advantage [for instance by changing abilities as ruled by the narrator].
so, no difference between our gaming style, AFAIC. and, as I may add, I regulary forget to augment, edge, bid, give bonusses and penalties....:-(
but it's MGF =)

stefan