Re: Rune Magic

From: Stephen McGinness <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:01:26 -0000

From: Wulf Corbett
> You've got a hell of a address there... hope replying doesn't put
> me on any list of dubious characters!

Nah. We're quite liberal here in the HoC Library. I'm still the same Stratchclyde guttersnipe I always was...

> Another bloody theist...

Well, once a catholic, you know...

I hadn't cottoned on to the resistance part of it. I suppose it's all part of the Narrator's task to decide how far you allow things or start increasing difficulties.

Something else to think about, but like you say, everything else in the game is heroic and mythic and for Rune Magic to have primacy over the mundane makes game sense.

From: Ian Cooper
> This has been a source of endless debate :-)

It's the problem with newbies, always asking the questions that cause everyone else to start old arguments... :-)

> The most important thing to read is:
> http://www.glorantha.com/hw/javern_sunsetleap.html

Thanks for the steer.

This is the part of Rune Magic that I am very comfortable with. I think it is one of the reasons this game excites me so much - the freedom it seems to permit is fantastic for storytelling and should reward more creative players.

> A feat will tend to be used for one of two things:
> 1: Enhancement (augment or edge)

I understand that you can use the feat as an enhancement to augment but this makes it no different from 'Strong' etc does it. I thought that each feat might be used sometimes to augment or to use it as something special - will get to that below. I guess the extra bit from magic is that several feats could be used to enhance an ability. I just want Rune Magic to be extra special.

> 2: as an ability (in which case it is used same way as other skills
> in a contest i.e a magical attack in an extended contest allows you
> to bid AP)

I understand this as well. You could use Humakt's Truesword against foes rather than the bog standard close combat ability. And I see that in some circumstances it encourages players to devote experience to their affinities than to skills and so live more like their patron deities.

> Have any more specific questions?

Well, the examples in the files are the sort of thing I was thinking of. Just some ways to identify the ability as Rune Magic than making it just another ability.

The Example of making Truesword into a simple contest where one stroke could end the contest type of thing.

In the rulebook there is an example of Rurik fighting and switching abilities during a battle with zombies (I think). He switched from spear combat (5W) to Fight Undead (17) which demonstrated that during the contest the AP totals are fixed at the start regardless of which abilities you subsequently use.

When I read it I couldn't understand why you'd _want_ to switch to a 17 ability from a 5W unless the 17 did something special. When I got to reading about the feats there was nothing there that said just what would be special. It would make more sense to use the Fight Undead to enhance the ability already being used...

I was thinking that with Fight Undead that a success might provide an edge automatically against undead (but how much?) or that the undead would have to make an ability check against their undead affinity or instantly die.

All I think I need is a guide to keep the balance of the game....that's whay I wrote here.