Re: Holy days and duties

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:28:39 -0000

This may be straying out of rules and inot HeroWars but..

 David Dunham wrote:
> I think this is an example of: we pay attention to them most when
it makes the story interesting.<

In our house campiagns current story arc, I am trying to give the heroes a feel for the yearly cycle, drawing isnpiration from TR and KoDP. In particular I am keen to have the heroes attend at least one of their cults key festivals each. Mostly it is just a description of what happens?

Considering projected events of the Hero Wars, I think it is important to give the players an idea of 'normal life', so they appreciate when that pattern is disrupted.

Of course I like to give players choices too, so they missed the chance to participate in the Thunder Day ceremonies at Irist Hold (must finish and post my map of Irist Hold) while hiding in the hills.

Oh well there are plenty of festivals left.

Its part of more general experimentation on my part on how to introduce cultural information 'in game'. The episode currently being played - 'The Tamlane Tales' has a Chaucerian story telling contest in it. I'm not sure how well the concept is working yet, though handouts may make it easier than last night's read aloud.

But we experiment, we learn, we try.

Ian Cooper