Re: Re: Followers

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:01:15 +0100

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:30:50 -0700, David Dunham <david_at_...> wrote:

>Wulf added
>
>> I have started to award FPs - Follower Points - for when the follower
>> does the heroic bit.
>
>I don't understand this. How come followers are acting on their own
>and being heroic? Something's wrong.

Exactly. The heroic healer who continually gets into fights using his follower's abilities. Is he being heroic or stupid? It's his follower who's providing the ability, so it's his follower who's achieving any heroic results. Not EVERY follower is EVER heroic - but sometimes they deserve recognition. Sure, you rarely see Star Trek redshirts on their own, but have you seen Galaxy Quest? Sometimes they CAN be heroes!

>Besides, followers improve automatically, as the hero does.

Yes, but I allow followers two uses of HP/FP. Firstly, just as ordinary HP - but under the control of the follower (which usually means the narrator). These represent truly spectacular follower assistance (if Gabrielle is still a follower, she uses these). Secondly, with suitable narrator agreement, we allow tertiary follower abilities at -16 for 1 HP (rising as the other abilities) - that's how we turn followers into characters. We do, frequently, allow followers to act independently, I would expect any player to be able to fully describe his character's most loyal followers in just as much detail as his main hero (or at least remember her name - you know who you are!).

Wulf