Thunderstones & such

From: Christian Wanamaker <enlil5_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:31:55

Is there any real description of how an enchanted thunderstone would work in HW? Just a slingstone with a big edge? Something with a rating? I'm guessing that it would be a stone with a big edge, and if cemented with a HP, would not be consumed. I know the system is supposed to be rules light, but there are a few points that could use clarification in the book.

Another example of this (brought up before, I know) is stuff like Shield Destroyer, Break Weapon, etc. I think I see a way to work it though - instead of attacking the person holding the weapon, you attack the weapon itself. Something like a simple contest of Magic vrs. Item. While I generally have disliked the idea of using simple contests for using a magical effect (like a sleep spell), I think it works in this case. An item could either have it's default value (14), or it's magical value, or possibly the holders magic resistance versus that sort of thing. If the sword or whatever was magical and cemented, it could probably be fixed even if damaged. About the only thing I'm not quite sure of is what the negative effects of failure would be, though I suppose you could just use the standard results of failure in combat against the affinity (-1 for hurt, 1/2 for injured, etc). What do you think?

Christian