Re: Tweaking augments/Increasing Wealth

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:57:26 +0100

Lots of interesting ideas in the wealth thread. I'll throw in the ideas I;ve been using to complicate matters further...
  1. The scale in HW is, as lots of people have said, logarithmic. I've tended to find that doubling the 'real' number for every +10 is not far off the feel. So, given we know a cow (average!!) is worth 20 wealth, this gives :

1 cow - 20

2 cows - 10W
4 cows - 20W
8 cows - 10W2

16 cows - 20W2

and so forth. Extrapolate for missing numbers, or simply round. Anything else can be converted into cows first, then use this table. And I'd only do that if it was really needed anyway - say, if the players were trying to use their new found wealth.

2. If you really want to get into a detailed system, I like the idea of running a simple contest between the number above and the current wealth rating. A marginal or minor victory gives +1, a major +2, and a complete +4. I might lower the rating for a major defeat, though - whatever gambles the player used to increase his wealth obviously went wrong...

3. The one I actually use is to increase the rating like any other ability. You find several cows on a trip, add +1 to wealth for 1 HP. Obviously, the amount of stuff found will justify whether the wealth increase is related or not.

4. In practice, I've found this isn't an issue. My Orlanthi players tend to beg anything they want from the chief, and give him the basic wealth spoils in return. Relationships are therefore more important than personal wealth...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson