Re: Quest Challenge gains

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:51:21 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> Without considering the consequences, I allowed a
> character with Close Combat 2W2 to QC FOR Close Combat... result
> Close Combat 4W4!?
>
> Fortunately, all players agreed this was excessive (the 2W2 was
> probably the single highest Ability in our entire campaign as it
> was), and I'm going to change it to a new Ability at 2W2 instead.
>
> But essentially this seemed quite sensible, fairly fought, lots of HP
> needed.

In which case, you are robbing the player of a fairly gained toy. ...
> Or am I just too restrictive in allowing high Abilities?

The rules as they are wrote pretty much REQUIRE you to put up a big ability in a QC, which is therefore likely to be the characters biggest ability. The result of such a QC (which I suspect is a common type) is either doubling the ability or losing it entirely. Whatever happens, the result (IMHO) is completely unbalancing: the character becomes almost unplayable with the other characters in the game, because their ability becomes so greatly different from his peers.

My conclusion was that the QC mechanics are broken. Note their similarity to the Mysticism rules (*shudder*).