Re: Kudos to Bruce Ferrie/Augmentation

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:41:02 -0000

Bruce gets +2 HP to add to his 'Generous' Trait.

> And so to the second part of the mail.
>
> I only realised during the gameplay that augmentation is an
> extremely risky business. When you try to augment then there
> is rarely an occaision when _nothing_ happens - you either
> gain or lose. Is this intentional. I'd have thought that there

Yep. Its intentional.

> would be more occaisions when there was no effect. That
> _could_ be achieved by making marginal/minor results a 'no effect',
> major results in gaining/losing the augmentation and complete
> results in double values.

There's been a lot of debate on this in the past but you have to admit it cuts down on useless die-rolls!

> Less often a success but less often a failure too...

Ah, but why roll dice if you don't mean it? HW is much more magical than RuneQuest, I find. And didn't you just hate rolling to see if your Battle Magic spells worked and rolling and rolling and rolling? =(

> I presume that this is more of a problem earlier in Hero careers
> when a resistance of 10 has a good chance of beating your skill
> of 13 or 17...

There are a few ways around this - use 'touch' when augmenting. This reduces the difficulty of the resistance by 5.

> It just seemed to add a bit of wildness to the game and result in
> less inclination to augment - which of course makes events that
> bit more stremalined with less contests...

This is true. But the reason for failure is that you may have over done it. Or your augment makes you glow nicely and you're an easy target. Lots of reasons.

... but I usually think of it as either pulling a muscle or you THINK the augment worked a lot better than it did. If you think you're invlunerable youget reckless (hence the negative augment)

> Just wanted to see what people think of augmenting etc...
>
> Should it be so win/lose or should it be more win/lose/draw?

I prefer it win/lose. That means the players are much more careful in going for those big augements... since they know its quite likely they could end up with a -5 instead of a +5. Too many players play silly games with probablity as it is...

Hope this helps,

Jeff