Re: Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:58:30 +0100 (BST)

> Exactly my point, in a way. All we have to have is a rule like "every
> doubling of wealth represents a +10". Except that specific rule
> doesn't QUITE work, and is a bit clumsy in practice. We don't need to
> know how many cattle you have, just what worth of cattle it takes to
> improve your Wealth by what ammount.

Just having _a rough idea_ of many cattle (equivalents) you have would be a kinda nice.

> > That sounds about right. 15 is only "average" wealth, a torc could
> > fund that (at least for a while).
>
> Hmm, well, I dislike the "5+5=15" logic, but I guess I see your point.

I take your point. It's a little squirrelly, all right. But in its defence...

        o Above TN 10, it does't happen; TNs less than 10 are rare.

	o  The +X per doubling may be lower in this case;  Julian
	   has me half-believing it may be +5, or at least somewhere
	   between 5 and 10.  In that case, the "odd" cases become
	   rarer still.

> It makes for a decent start though. So 4 cows = worth 30 (20 x2 x2 =
> 20 +5 +5). To add that to an original Wealth 15 makes it 20 (30 = 15
> x2 = 15 +5). No more complex than the Augmentation maths... Let's
> see, 100 cows would be about 12W2 worth. It's a bit tricky to 'add'
> the worth of items with inequal worth, like 4 cows, a horse and 3
> sheep, but it's not too bad.

Nah, just find the lowest farm animal denominator. ;-) Really, once you have the appropriate table, it's very easy: just convert everything to some game-world measure (lunars, cows, whatever -- this isn't a high precise calculation, a good guess will be fine), add 'em up, and convert back to wealth numbers. _This does not mean you have to do this every time_: in the situations covered by the existing wealth rules, go ahead and use them. In the cases satisfactorily covered by winging it, then wing it. But when all else fails...