Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:13:03 -0000

> Well we tend to follow this principle. We would give you a
> magic iten the Flashing Blade and make you pay fora rating
> with it. This was debated endlessly and frankly let's live
> & let live on that issue (Greg, I believe, held the opposite
> opinion for example).

The way that I think about this is that your rating for an item is your understanding of how to use its powers. An item with a high notional power where the owner has a low rating for that item indicates that the owner does not understand how to use it.

Another model that I have thought about is to have items that contain otherworld entities. Your rating for the item represents a relationship with the otherworld entity. A follower relationship with the entity means that the rating of the item goes up with the characters best ability rating -8 and or -12. An ally relationship means that the character has access to a rating roughly equivalent to their own best rating but may have to argue with the narrator to be able to access the powers or may be required to follow the entities agenda occasionally.

The twist on this is that as the rating of the relationship goes up, the more powers that the otherworld entity reveals. For example, a relation up to 20 reveals 1 power, up to 20w reveals a 2nd etc. Or alternatively, the higher the relationship, the more flexible the narrator is in interpreting the powers.

regards,
Charles