Re: Increasing abilities was: Wealth without Loot

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:43:40 -0000

> QUESTIONS
> So, do people think the existing rules for increasing abilities are
> too slow? And if so, how do people think they can be made faster
> without destroying game balance?
>
> Do people think the existing rules fo cementing non-Wealth benefits
> are adequate? And if so, how do people think they could be changed?

The standard ways to improve abilities (and worse, affinities) are too slow, but there are shortcuts. HeroQuests are obvious (but the Quest Challenge problem may have spurred this whole ability/wealth debate), directed improvement, etc. If your narrator WANTS you to have a higher ability, then *phoom!* you have a higher ability!

Likewise, the cementing rules are adequate IF they are properly monitored by the narrator. Whether it's Stormbringer, "I claim this deserted castle in the name of ME!", or 4 cow's worth of Wealth, if the narrator doesn't WANT you to have it, it's not yours, HP or not. Maybe Stormbringer pays the HP first, and you become IT'S, the castle's original owner reappears, or the cows have BSE, there's always a way to keep the goods from you.

If I WANT to give a character Stormbringer, I can. I don't, so it's not going to be an issue. Cementing is only a feature of things introduced by the narrator, remember. You can't say "I'm going to have my character find a 10W3 magic sword and cement it for 2 HP as an unconnected expendature", the way you can say "I'm going to have him start learning tightrope walking at 12 for 2 HP".

Wulf