Re: cementing; ease of use

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:45:58 -0700

Benedict

> Are you suggesting dropping all the cementing rules? (This, in
> effect, is what we have done in our group).

What was your reasoning for dropping them? They've always worked pretty well for us (I think I used them in our very first game, to cement a follower we'd met).

Our group recently found some ancient scrolls in Auld Wyrmish. My sage (who is probably the greatest expert in Draconic Lore outside Kralorela) decided to cement them. So he has Auld Wyrmish Scrolls 12.

He can obviously use this to augment his Draconic Lore in many cases, but there may also be times he can just try to use them (our Narrator will have to figure out exactly what's in them if so).

And the 12 rating makes lots of sense -- as he continues to study them, his knowledge will get better (and I can spend HP to raise the rating).

Wulf

> What I DO object to is the situation, after a cattle raid, of
> cementing the cattle 'Herd of 5 cattle XX' - for a start, what would
> that 'XX' be?

It certainly seems silly to cement a specific number of cows -- why isn't this Herd of Cattle 12?

Alex

> There are several cases where it's at least implied you can cement
> abilities at > starting level,

Do you remember where? P. 32 is pretty clear. (New followers of course have higher abilities, but your relationship with that individual still starts at 12.)

Oliver

> I find HW to be incredibly frustrating to run because of the lack
> of structure and examples.

I've been running games for over 20 years, and I find HW about the easiest to run. Easier than PenDragon Pass, which was easier than RuneQuest.

(Sadly, the printed rules aren't the easiest to work with, but that will be changing. What I'm referring to is the basic game system.)

> Or in my case a bunch of frustrated old war gamers who want to roll more
> dice damn it!

While it's true that HW resolves most situations with fewer die rolls than RQ, we recently went through a Borderlands scenario (using HW), and it felt very much like the old RQ2 days when Borderlands was released. We rolled lots of dice, numbers (of AP) and healing mattered a lot, and we almost all died.

But it didn't take all the bookkeeping of different hit locations etc.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>