Re: re:Combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:33:06 -0400

Tim Ellis wrote:

> Jeff Kyer points out
>
> >Good solution. That's what we do. Though, frankly, for mookish
> >combats, I may just reduce it to something simple --- our Resident
> >Humakti vs a bunch of stickpickers is not really a tough contest.
>
> Yes. Remember that the idea is to only use the extended contest for
> something that is a dramatically important, extended contest, not
> something you need to use to resolve every incident. Mind you, you
> might have difficulty when you say to your Humakti "OK we'll resolve you
> vs the Stickpickers as a simple contest... Hey, I got a one, what did
> you get? a 20!...."

Would you like to know what happened?

It did happen. Mr Humakti had a 3W2 "Hack Person Into Ministrone" (damn him and his amazingly good augments) and Joe, Bubba, Louie and Stig The Stickpicker were at a 15 Combat. That's a 2Mastery difference. Looks like we got some simultaneous criticals here. If it was only a 1 mastery difference it would have been a failure vs a Critical.

Basically, when it happneed with tied critials, I said that 'the stickpickers are holding you off, surprisingly well and even drive you back a bit.

When it was a 1 mastery difference (Major Failure for Our Hero, which is BAD), I *have* said, "Your overconfidence facing this trivial foes is your undoing" (he was offered an extended combaqt and turned it down). You slay the first of the stickpickers but the rest of them swarm over you, and hold you fast in strong farmer's arms. Now what? Contest over. Hero Loses. The other, 'lesser' combat types had to rescue him before the farmers carted him off for ransom.

That's what I did., anyways.

Jeff Kyer