RE: Re: improvisation

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:50:56 +0100

Thom wrote:

>> having everyone who isn't renowned for their Strength fail to bash
>> open flimsy doors, everyone who isn't remarkably resistant being
>> crippled by the common cold, and everyone of middling size getting
>> stuck in unremarkably narrow openings, I prefer to hunt for any
>> credible Improvised ability first before relying on the default.

> Yes. I think that improvisation is one of the key things to get right when
> playing Hero Wars. Narrators need to relax and allow most improvisations
> (with appropriate penalty) and players need to get creative with
> personality traits, feats and so forth.

As well as improvisation, getting a feel for "things no self-respecting hero would fail at" and not invoking the rules when one of them comes up would help. At least in the deliberately trivial examples Wulf cites above.

> Mind you, this isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Agreed. But HW was never meant to be a game about accurately simulating the ability of people of middling size to squeeze through unremarkably narrow openings. Trying to use it as one could cause problems.

Cheers, Nick