Re: Re: Ken and his sword

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:28:45 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> You are missing, or avoiding, the point. We are not talking about
> buying or increasing an ability, we are talking about CEMENTING and
> possibly improving an item.

Well, I was talking about cementing items. Someone suggested an extremely poor variant rule of not allowing improvement of items.

> Cementing is NOT the same as buying (if
> you would howl, go read the rules).

Correct. The rules state that you can buy a new ability at 12 for 1 HP (or 2 HP if unrelated to the episode). The rules state that you can cement an item for 1 HP.

The rules imply, but do not state, that (special and magic) items are just like abilities once bought. For example, the example character sheet on page 28 lists Sack of Black Winds 13 in the character's Wealth section. This is evidently and treated as an ability.

Several people seem to think that items are just like abilities that have particular special effects. For example, the widely used rule that a newly cemented item has an ability rating of 12, just like any other newly acquired ability.