Re: Ken and his sword

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:16:52 -0000

If it's an "ambiguous reference" then it can't also be a "Game Balance Threatening" powerful Item. There is no reason I can think of why cementing an ambiguous reference should use any different rules to starting a new ability, in terms of cost and benefit. I will accept that the suggested starting value of 12 becomes increasingly irrelevant as characters become more powerful, and is not the "right value" if you don't start at the default level in the first place. I am happy to leave defining what this level should be to the individual narrator without having to create a "rule" that says "You start a new ability at the higher of 12 or (best ability - x)" or something similar, but don't let that stop you trying to work out a value of x...

In effect the GM is creating "ambiguous references" when he lets the PC's discover those EWF Amulets, Old wyrmic Scrolls, Dragon Eggshell shards and so on... It's just that their importance only comes into play when they are cemented.

If the GM creates Items whose powers are pre-defined for their game, then their ability to threaten game balance is entirely up to them. If they don't think they are suitable for the players to have (whether they are "Ring of Crimson Bat Control 12w5" or "Kraorli Breadknife ^7") then they should either not introduce them in the first place or have a cunning plot twist on hand to ensure they are not available to share out at the end of the session. This is not a "rules" issue or a "HW" issue but a normal part of being a GM. Don't let the fact that you have to spend a HP to "keep" the item in HW when you don't pay anything in RQ/D&D/etc etc fool you into thinking this is a special case