Defensive Edge = Min. bid?

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:19:26 -0000

Hi all.

As my players have become more rules savvy, they've come upon a tactic for bids that I haven't seen mentioned.

If we understand the rules correctly, then a Hero can bid up to the level of his (appropriate) defensive edge without any chance of losing AP.

For example:
Boomer, a Mostali, has enchanted armor ^7 + ^2 sorcerous physical defense for ^9. If he bids 9 and fumbles vs. the opponent's critical, he transfers 3X the bid, but according to HW, the edge is subtracted before multiplication. So, (Bid 9 - ^9) x 3 = 0 AP lost.

Is this how everyone else understands it to work? (This assumes, of course, that the opponent has offensive edge 0.)

If so, I'm surprised I haven't seen a proposed house rule: Default minimum bid = total modified defensive edge.

At the moment, my players are learning to love edges. Like last Monday, when the Pretty Powerful Shaman got a Complete Success on an attempt to give himself ^12, so ended up with ^24. It's pretty scary for the opposition when a tottering 90 year old geezer shatters arrows on his naked chest.

Mike