RE: Extended contests

From: MCGINNESS, Stephen <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:40:44 -0000

As an aside to all the extended contest stuff I thought I'd throw in this little piece...

When Bruce ran his demonstration scenario for our group one of the scenes was a race where there was a group extended contest where the final one with positive AP was the winner.

We found that the race went on just a _little_ bit longer than might have been justified - fun as it was - the trickster went out of the race when she tried to goose the Orlnathi and he beat her using Boast!

For an extended contest such as this it might be better for the Narrator to decide how long he wants the contest to go - frex 6 rounds or less. After six rounds the person with the most AP is the winner. This keeps the game flowing and allows the Narrator a bit more control over the narrative. He knows after three rounds most of the group should have rounded the Sky Stones and be on the way back to the finish line.

It might be a way to have a truncated contest and allow the characters some leeway for bragging etc later

"Another 20 metres, Hairybritches, and I'd have beaten you!" sort of thing.