Re: Flaw examples please

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:16:23 -0000

I think the discussion on how 'useful' a flaw COULD be is missing the point. To me a 'flaw' is something that hampers the character's everyday, or at least common-event, life. One of my characters has 'Frail and Gaunt' - it gives her a negative edge in combat, and a handicap when attempting strength or toughness tasks. But she's a Spirit-talker, so she's got a spirit that'll let her snap people's spines... Another has both 'Poor Speech' and 'Colour Blind' - but he's a Minotaur*, what do you expect?

All are flaws in that they make life more difficult - that they might, somehow, be used to the character's advantage isn't the point. Sure, if the player insists on playing a flaw as a positive ability, never negative, the Narrator could change it to an ability, increase it and play up the negative aspects, etc. But the real point is, it shouldn't have BEEN a flaw if it wasn't a problem. My Spirit Talker also has 'Loathe Tusk Riders 5W', but that's a Personality Trait, not a flaw. So would 'Hate Lunars' be, if you didn't have to live amongst Lunars. But if you DO have to, it's a flaw, whether you CAN use it to your advantage or not. It's down to the Narrator to make it WORK as a flaw,

Wulf