Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:26:11 -0800

Simon

> Presumably this means that initiates are always at a penalty
> when attempting any feat, but I can't find any reference as to
> what this penalty should be. -2? -5? -10? And that feats not in
> the description of the cult are even harder?

The standard -3. I'd be tempted to make unlisted feats -5.

> Secondly, I am also presuming that Devotees can improvise
> feats not in the list in the cult description?

Yes

> I don't like the idea of players always rolling against an ability
> with an automatic penalty.

Me neither. If I'd written this, both initiates and devotees would roll for the listed feats at their target number. Only devotees would be able to improvise new feats.

> It seems to me that the target number
> of the ability should be the number they roll against in most
> circumstances. The alternative I'm considering is upping the
> difficulty of feats when they're performed by Initiates, so that
> the penalty is effectively invisible to the players

Most of the time you roll against another character, not the universal background, so this won't work.

Wulf

> I allow Initiates to use specific Feats at a penalty of -10. It's
> quite heavy, but they have the full use of the Affinity for Augments

I think part of the charm of the game is for characters to use feats. I also don't think the average character in a game should have to be a devotee. Thus, I don't consider Wulf's answer satisfactory (though it may in fact be closer to what Greg has talked about).

I also think you should describe the feat used to augment, since this can make a big difference.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>