Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:51:48 -0000

> I'd go further, and say there IS no flexibility in Initiate use of
an
> Affinity. An Initiate says "I augment with my Combat Affinity" (or
> Movement, or whatever). That's it. That's ALL he can do at full
> Rating. No special effects (except at the Narrator's description),
no
> specific style or form. The Initiate can choose Bonus, Edge or AP
> loan, that's it.

I suppose this is down to individual play style. I'd actually expect the player to say how Orlanth is helping him ('a sudden wind begins to tear at him, distracting and blinding him' or whatever). Just as with APs, you can choose simply to say 'I bid 20' or 'I leap forward with a sudden war cry, swinging my sword in a desperate attempt to cleave him in two'; the *mechanical* effects are the same, but the play value very different. And there is always the chance of some spin-off advantage. If, unknown to him, the 'special effect' the player requests happens to hit some vulnerability of the target, I'd probably just throw in a bonus, for example. And anyway, the player who talks through how he is calling on Orlanth, etc, is likely to get more HP at the end...

Mark

Mark Galeotti