Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:32:55 -0000

Simon
> I have played the game many times, just not in a campaign yet.

Sorry, I lost it a bit there. Not really with you, but with all the people calling for the rules to change in 2nd. ed to reflect a 1st ed misunderstanding.

> I don't think that this change breaks the game world.

IMO there are magicians and everyone else. Everyone else gets some magic, represented by affinities/blessings/ fetishes/talents and rituals. But magicians get feats/spells/spirit combat. A devotee is equivalent to a sorceror or a shaman. Don't forget they must be suypported by their clan. They spend 60% of their time on magical/religious activities. In return for the clan supporting them they get to wield significantly better magic.

Everyone is not a devotee, devotees have significanlty better magic i.e feats and not affinities.

Yes, this was unclear in the 1st. ed. But Greg, Roderick and others have tried to clarify it since.

>In a lower-powered game I would expect initiates to start with one
or two feats and gain more during play.

But they can never cement feats, so they can never gain them. Only devotees can cement feats. Only devotees use feats.

> Finaly, everyone I know who has generated a character for the
first time, whether their characetr was an initiate or not, listed all the feats for their affinities.

Yes, we did too. But that was because the rules were unclear and implied initiates got feats. Information has changed. Note how more recent material lists affinites for initiates, without any feats, and lists affinities with feats for devotees. Modern cult write ups reflect the 'fixed' version of the rules.

> As I said in my last post, this may not be the best solution for
other people's games, it may not even be the best solution for my game, but I have to make a call and that's that.

Simon, it is your game, I am just trying to point out that 1st. ed gives an incorrect impression which has been 'fixed' since.

Ian Cooper