Re: Just Curious

From: TheCam_at_...
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:33:37 EST

In a message dated 1/22/02 3:55:56 PM, Alex Ferguson writes:

<< > How many of you (as narrators) would allow a player to take an obviously

> non-natural ability for a starting character? For instance, would you allow

> a starting character to have "Fly", "Spit Fire" or "Breathe Water"?

> (assuming that these are normal humans, not Windchildren, Dragons or Fish

> :-) ). Would you make these abilities "more expensive" than, say, "Run" or

> "Ride"? (by more expensive, would you ask for more than "Joe can Fly" in a

> 100-word character, or take up more than one slot in a List character).

I think the question is not so much one of how "non-natural", but how

"unusual" it is. If something seemed very out-of-the-ordinary for

the cultural or local background, I'd say it needed more explanation/

rationale in the character description. (Not sure what I'd do using

the list method.) The more unusual, the more description. e.g. Joe

is an Orlanthi with a stand alone flying feat, not too bad; Joe

is a Doraddi -- that'll take a bit more explaining. >>

Yes. The rest of the description would make a difference, too. Flying for Joe the Vanganth worshipper as compared to Joe the Humakti, for example.

Camo