Re: "scripting" contests

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:45:08 -0000

> You mentioned several names for such scenarios, but I prefer to call
> that:"pulling players by the nose"
> If GM behaves in such way, players soon realize that, no matter what
> they do, the outcome will be the same, dice or no dice. In such
> games, players only provide characters to act in selfish GM's
> scenario. Only dialogs and their futile attempts to change
> something can be different, outcome is always the same.

I'm afraid I find this rather absurd. Surely it would be much more selfish for a GM to impose some hoops to jump through and then FAIL to think about how the players might accomplish this. It seems like a very antagonstic relationship in which the GM is comepetitor-come- taskmaster. I prefer a more cooperative model in which the GM spends tim thinking not just what puzzles need to be solved, but also how they might be, how it can all be staged, and how to rpesent it in an entertaining manner.