Re: Augmentation again

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:06:36 +0000

> From: <zero-c_at_...>
>Subject: Augmentation again
>
>I know,this has been kind of discussed already but i couldnt find a really
>satisfying answer with the search of the messagearchive.
>It s about augmenation:
>1.For how long lasts an augmentation?For one action or a whole contest?

Usually for a whole scene.

>2.Why do you have an +1 to the target number,but an edge of +2 to the APīs
>>?Shouldnt that be +1 to both categories...i dont see the logic...Doesnt
>that >make the edge better than the bonus ??

No. Augments usually give +1 AP as well as plus +1 target number. Which is more handy depends on the circumstances. The usefulness of the edge is conditional on your target number. A big edge with a low target number doesn't get used very often.

>3.Shouldnt there be some kind of automatic bonus when augmenting"Fighing
>with >fist"with such stuff as "Strength"or something like this?It has kind
>of the >effect a damage bonus in RQ has,doesnt it ?I mean it would make
>kind of sense >if an augmentation lasts for one action,reflecting the
>outcome of your >technique,but then again,why should a giant or a dragon
>get a negative bonus >from his strength in comparison to someone who has
>no skill he can augment >with-he will always be safe with his targetnumber.

Some people allow such automatic bonuses in circumstances. It is a house rule. I can't see it working as a blanket rule. As a narrator I just decide whether to give a free augment on a case by case basis. (I might let a character augment his attack with jump during the action he uses gets to his feet, but not to allow an augment such as Flickering Blade in the same situation).

>If there was a houserule to automatic boni,can someone repeat it for me or
>tell >me the thread where i can read it ?
>(like +1 per 5points of skill or something like that)

I've seen:

  1. +1 for free (at range touch)
  2. +1 per 10 points of ability
  3. +1 per 10 points of ability or fraction thereof.

I prefer C. It cuts down on time for multiple augments.

Thom